3D and 4D printing are the future of manufacturing. Also called additive manufacturing, 3D printing opens up a whole new world of customisation and possibilities. After obtaining a 3D printer and the materials you wish to create items with, you then need 3D model of the object you wish to print, as a digital file, then the printer will build the item layer by layer. This type of manufacturing offers many benefits and advantages.
Benefits of Additive Manufacturing
• You can create complex shapes more easily.
• Less materials are used, compared to traditional manufacturing, so it is more eco-friendly.
• You can easily store designs for future use or more easily improve designs.
• Customisable items are more quickly and easily created.
• You can create items on site, therefore reducing transport costs and environmental impact.
• 3D printing materials can be practically anything: plastic, metal, powder, concrete and even edible materials such as chocolate or pastry.